Welcome to the Maths Department at Marshfields
Mathematics plays an important role in our lives. It is used in everyday activities such as buying food and clothes, keeping time and playing games.
Maths is taught throughout the school by our specialist maths team consisting of
|E. Favell||Lead Teacher of Maths||Yr 7 - 11 & Post16|
|K. Danks||Class Teacher||Yr 7 - 11 & Post16|
|F. Griffin||Class Teacher||Yr 7 - 11|
|K. Northrop||Class Teacher||Post16|
All students at Marshfields study maths for a total of five 40 minute periods a week.
We aim to provide a wide range of mathematical experiences enabling students to:
- acquire skills in mathematical thinking;
- develop confidence in using and applying mathematics and to appreciate its challenges and aesthetic satisfaction within wider contexts;
- develop positive attitudes to mathematics and an understanding of its nature and purpose in a variety of relevant contexts;
- progress appropriately through a challenging programme of work differentiated to meet individual needs;
- as far as possible, meet the criteria required for achievement of levels of attainment appropriate to stage;
- develop, initiate and enjoy working cooperatively, collaboratively and individually.
Our maths team encourage students to develop their thinking skills and approaches to problem solving and enquiry using a range of techniques. The development of an understanding of number and its application, in particular the development of mental strategies and the use of appropriate language is a priority.
We use a wide range of teaching methods in order to meet the varying needs of students. Included are whole class, small group and individualised learning approaches. Our emphasis is on active learning. Active involvement in mathematical experiences, in real and relevant contexts is essential for the mathematical development of our students. This is particularly so in KS4 and KS5 where ‘Skills for Life’ become the basis of study programmes. We are committed to providing a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum for all our students including National Curriculum, presented at a level appropriate to the needs and ability of individual students.
Whilst it is our priority to provide students with the mathematical skills necessary to survive in the world after school, examinations remain important. We, as a department are committed to the ideal that all students leaving Marshfields will do so with at least one accredited examination certificate. Currently this takes the form of AQA Entry level (1, 2 & 3) Maths and, for those who are able, AQA GCSE. Post16 pupils are able to take Edexcel financial skills maths entry level (1,2 & 3) and Level 1 & 2. Post16+ complete the BTech Money and Finance Level 1 course.