Title: Physical Education
Subject Leader: Mr J Stafford
As the Physical Education teacher at Marshfields, I strive to ensure all pupils reach their full potential in PE lessons and around the school.
I feel all pupils have the right to learn in an enjoyable and supportive environment, be responsible citizens and flourish. I work in collaboration with the allocated teaching assistant, Mr Musson to provide high quality and innovative PE lessons for Marshfields’ pupils. Sport is a highly valued subject at our school and we endeavour to provide different opportunities to allow our pupils to experience a wide range of sports and activities.
Each pupil receives one 80-minute physical education lesson per week and will have the option to study BTEC Sport in Years 10 and 11. Our facilities include a sports hall, three outdoor playgrounds and a well maintained sports field. We also have an IPAD to assist in self-assessment and giving pupils targeted feedback.
The broad and balanced curriculum that we offer at Key Stages 3 and 4 enables all pupils to enjoy and succeed in many kinds of physical activity. Pupils develop the ability to suggest improvements, use tactics and compositional ideas to succeed as well as developing their literacy, numeracy and ICT skills. As a result, they develop the confidence to take part in different physical activities and learn about the value of healthy, active lifestyles. Discovering what they like to do, what their aptitudes are at school, and how and where to get involved in physical activity helps them make informed choices about lifelong physical activity.
As a department we:
- Provide innovative teaching methods such as Guided Discovery and Teaching Games for Understanding
- Personalise each lesson, ensuring every child reaches their full potential
- Enable individuals to make their own physical and mental decisions taking responsibility for their learning
We are fortunate to have a full time physical education teaching assistant who assists in:
- Creating a safe learning environment
- Enabling pupils to work in smaller groups
- Supporting pupils with additional needs
- Extending gifted and talented pupils
- Being responsible for equipment, warm ups, changing rooms, feeding back to pupils and utilising ICT within lessons
Our extra-curricular activities mirror our curriculum and are a thriving and vital component of the school’s curriculum which continues to grow. Teams participate in a variety of sports and activities, competing in local, regional and national competitions. It’s important that pupils learn to take winning and losing gracefully and also to understand that participating is the main aspect.
Enrichment clubs, practices and fixtures operate at both lunchtimes and after-school throughout the year along with healthy inter-house Sporting competitions. Throughout the year we also secure external specialist coaches for some of our after school clubs - including POSH youth coaches and a National players.
- Winners of Sainsburys School Games Cricket 2014, 2015
- Winners of Sainsburys School Games Tag Rugby 2015
- Winners and runners up of Cambridgeshire Football Association league 2014, 2015
- Successful local and Regional Table Cricket competitions 2015
- Great success in local Boccia Tournaments 2014, 2015
Many of our pupils follow their sporting passion in attending local sports clubs such as Peterborough Athletics, Cricket, Football, Swimming and Gymnastics.
Via PE at Marshfields, we endeavour to ensure that students are
Successful in their sporting achievements
Happy in their learning environment
Aspiring to be the best they can be
Purposeful – have clear aims and goals in order to achieve
Excited by innovative teaching methods, enabling pupils to develop
Diverse in their range of thoughts and consider ideas that help to us improve